Environmental Sustainability Advisory Committee
Front Royal’s Town Council is creating an Environmental Sustainability Advisory Committee (ESAC) that will focus on the Town’s ecosystem, including the establishment of recommended goals for environmental protection involving waste reduction, recycling, energy conservation, clean air and water, natural resources, and a sustainable community. The Committee will also oversee recommendations for a farmers’ market and public art.
The ESAC will be led by the Public Works Department and the newly hired Environmental Specialist John Osborn, who is a certified arborist, nurseryman, and tree care safety expert with over 35 years of experience.
The vision of the committee will include recommendations on:
- Preservation, enhancement, management and protection of Front Royal’s environment and natural resources.
- Education, outreach, communications, and public awareness on the care of the Town’s environmental assets.
- Proposed amendments and variations to environmental and natural resources-related policies, regulations, ordinances, and plans.
- Changes to the Town’s Comprehensive Land-use Plan regarding sustainability and urban forestry planning.
The committee will be responsible for:
- Maintaining recognition as a Tree City USA Town.
- Coordinating with community organizations and volunteer groups to work on environmental projects.
- Planning the annual Arbor Day ceremony.
- Supporting and coordinating with farmers markets and small retailers that specialize in farm to table and healthy food choices.
The Town Council will appoint five (5) volunteer committee members to the ESAC who are committed to environmental protection programs and working to strengthen the sustainability of the Town’s ecosystem. Committee members shall include one (1) Town employee who shall be the chairman, one (1) high school senior, and three (3) at-large residents. Each member shall be a resident of the Town of Front Royal or Warren County when appointed or selected. Residents of Warren County must own a business within the corporate limits of the Town.
Members must have an expressed interest in at least one of the following areas:
- Urban Forestry, Agricultural, Landscaping
- Urban Planning, Engineering, or related field
- Water, Natural Resources
- Solid Waste
- Sustainability, Energy Conservation