- A completed Town of Front Royal employment application must be received before a candidate may begin the formal application process.
- Be at least 20 years of age at time of application (but must turn 21 by academy graduation date). For Non-sworn positions, be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Have a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Have a satisfactory service record and not have been dishonorably discharged, if served as a member of the armed forces or military reserves.
- Have no convictions of any felony, Class 1 or 2 criminal misdemeanors for crimes of moral turpitude, or equivalent offense for non-Virginia laws.
- Be able to successfully complete the physical fitness requirements.
- Valid driver’s license before or by date of hire. Driving history should not demonstrate a pattern of irresponsible, and/or unsafe driving habits regardless of current DMV point assessments. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
For sworn police officer positions, applicants are divided into two types: certified and non-certified
- A certified applicant is an applicant with prior law enforcement experience and holds a current certification with the Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS). The Chief of Police can waive the written examination & physical agility portion of the application process based upon the applicant’s experience and specialized training.
- A non-certified applicant has no prior law enforcement experience or DCJS certifications or someone who has been inactive from law enforcement for an extended period of time. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The selection process for a sworn police officer vacancy takes approximately 90 -180 days to complete after the application has been received, depending on current certified and non-certified status. FRPD is a member of the Skyline Regional Criminal Justice Academy, who is responsible for providing all state-mandated basic, in-service, and various forms of specialized training. The basic police academy is held two times a year – typically starting in January and July.
Sworn Police Officer applicants must successfully complete the following phases:
- Online application submission (Insert hyperlink) • Personal History Statement and Information Release Authorization forms. • Written examination (can be waived for certified applicants) • Physical agility test (can be waived for certified applicants) • Pre-screen interview • Oral Interview panel • Background investigation • Polygraph examination • Psychological examination • Medical and physical examinations • Final approval by the Chief of Police and the Human Resources Director. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>