Paid & Unpaid Time Off
Front Royal has a biweekly pay period running Wednesday (1st week) through Tuesday (2nd week). Payroll checks are distributed on the Friday following the close of the pay period. Direct deposit (EFT) of biweekly compensation is required.
Full-time employees accrue annual leave based on continuous years of service with the Town of Front Royal as follows:
- 0 to 3 years: 3.0 hours per pay period
- 4 to 10 years: 4.0 hours per pay period
- 11 to 19 years: 5.0 hours per pay period
- 20 and above: 6.0 hours per pay period
All full-time employees accrue sick leave at the rate of 3.0 hours per biweekly pay period. There is no maximum limit of accumulation. Employees retiring or terminating employment in good standing will generally be compensated for 50% of the unused sick leave balance at the current hourly rate, capped at $2,000.
Front Royal observes twelve holidays as follows:
- New Year's Day (January 1st)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd Monday in January)
- President's Day (3rd Monday in February)
- Memorial Day (Last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Veterans Day (November 11th)
- Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in November)
- Day after Thanksgiving (4th Friday in November)
- Christmas Eve Day (December 24th)
- Christmas Day (December 25th)
Jury Duty Leave
Employees required to serve on federal or state juries do not have their leave balances charged for the first 5 days of jury duty leave. After 5 days, employees have the option of using accumulated annual or compensatory leave balances, or authorized leave without pay.
Family & Medical Leave
The federal Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 assists eligible employees in newborn or newly adopted children and provides for absences to care for themselves, a child, a parent or a spouse faced with serious health conditions. Eligible employees are entitled to up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave during a revolving 12-month period for certain purposes, as listed in the Town of Front Royal Employee Handbook (PDF).